Picture Perfect - Can you follow instructions?

Picture Perfect - Can you follow instructions?

by Amanda Kisona -
Number of replies: 3

We did this lesson last week called ‘Picture Perfect’ which was an idea from my mentor Caroline Adams which I found really helpful and myself and Jessica Barnes both applied to our Fashion Makeup Artistry Students. Obviously this is makeup related but you may be able to take some ideas and apply it to what you teach smile Students were split into groups of 3 (students put with classmates they don’t normally interact with) and they chose a describer, artist and model. I gave the describer each a photo of difficult makeup looks that only the describer was allowed to look at. They had to describe to the artist the look they had to create (the artist can’t see the photo) using intelligent words only. They had to accurately describe colours, textures and where to put things on the face using measurements as they were not allowed to point. The artist had to carefully listen, concentrate and ask questions. They ended up creating amazing looks and surprised themselves with this challenging but fun activity.

Attachment 1.JPG
Attachment 2.JPG
Attachment 3.JPG
Attachment 4.JPG
Attachment 5.JPG
Attachment 6.JPG
In reply to Amanda Kisona

Re: Picture Perfect - Can you follow instructions?

by Anne Webster -

Hi Amanda

This is a great activity which could be adapted to any course.  When a person has to describe something from a picture, they have to use the specific vocabulary of the trade or subject, and be very clear in their directions. I use this strategy with my students too and it is quite a challenge for them not to point or use any sort of gestures but only speak. It's a very effective strategy and really focuses on good communication skills - something all our learners have to have as graduates.

Now the challenge is for one of you plumbers, engineers, business, counselling or addiction tutors to respond to Amanda's idea with a version of this you use/could use. 

Thanks Amanda

In reply to Amanda Kisona

by Janell Vaughn -

We did something similar in my class that is focused on Building Intentional Relationships.  They were learning the theories of Vygotsky- specifically ZPD (Zone of Proximal Development) and Scaffolding so we did a back to back drawing exercise where they broke into pairs and one person had to explain the drawing and the other person had to draw (then switched).  Then we talked about scaffolding and expanding their understanding of being the knowledgeable other and how to assist other young people with understanding.

In reply to Janell Vaughn

by Anne Webster -

Thanks Janell. A great idea to do this back-to-back - which of you plumbers, carpenters, engineers have done this or something else like it?